M3 CP / Awareness Poster / Sketches

As a musician and an aspiring librarian, I wanted to combine the two types of event I am most likely to promote in my future endeavors: library programs and alternative music shows. I decided that, if I were a librarian, I would love to book a metal show in the library--- probably scheduled after our regular hours, so as not to bother patrons who didn't want to hear the noise. I had a lot of fun coming up with concepts to spread awareness for this kind of program!



My first concept was to take some free clipart of archetypal library mascots and edit them into the typical metal flyer design, with "scary" typeface and a gothic background. I want to use techniques I learned from Module 2 to edit the colorful characters to blend more with the dark background by adding textures to the clipart and darkening the colors.

On the inverse, I liked the idea of editing a mascot of metal culture into a typical library flyer. I would find a colorful cartoon depiction of a library and edit a monster like Godzilla into the halls. I considered including Lucifer, but it is likely against most library's policy to include anything referencing religion, and it may be too risque. 


Also related to combining the two cultures, I wanted to reference a famous children's author's style, and edit extreme metal Corpse Paint onto a child. I considered drawing it onto Junie B. Jones or Clifford, but I ultimately think I'm leaning towards a Mary Engelbreit character. I think her scrapbook style is very distinctive and eye-catching. She is a popular crafter among library patrons who seek out folksy Do-It-Yourself books. "DIY" is also a popular virtue in metal and punk communities that I would be trying to appeal to, so she feels like the key to attract all parties.


I couldn't shake the concept of incorporating Satan into the flyer, so I thought it might be interesting to take the most infamous depiction of Baphomet and edit the religious aspects out of it to be more relevant to the library. I wanted to edit a library card into his hand doing the religious gesture, and superimpose a library book into his other hand. I would edit out the symbol off of his forehead or strategically place flyer test over it. I also considered editing a bra onto him, but would likely just edit the nipples out to desexualize the character. Either way, I do not foresee myself using this because it's a little too controversial to advertise in the library. 


A motif that is the perfect marriage of literacy and metal culture is the Necronomicon, from Lovecraft lore. It's most recognizable in its design from Evil Dead. I like the idea of using the entire book cover as the backdrop of the event flyer, and using bubbly typeface for the event details. I would probably adjust the colors to be a bit brighter, as well.


The final evolution of a few of these ideas is to combine a Junie B. Jones type of character and edit the Necronomicon into the child's hands.

Comments

Popular Posts